Thursday 7 April 2016

Wanderlust, Flora Bowley style

I am having an amazing time over on the Wanderlust course! so many exciting artists to tempt me out of my safe little world.
Last week, I watched Flora Bowley demonstrate her techniques on large canvases.

I began to build up layers on my 20"x20" canvas, starting with warm colours.


When it was dry, I painted my cold colours!


Next, white acrylic and then black!



Finally, I added some colours that I felt would complete my creation...and here it is!



For my second canvas, a little larger, I was more careful about colour choice, because I wanted to hang it in my hall.
I started with blues and silver.


Added some green


a little bronze, white and brown.


It felt unfinished, so I went bold and overpainted some shapes in purple and framed it with purples. So, here is my second ever large painted canvas.


I forgot to mention that I used a variety of makes of acrylic paint and I thoroughly enjoyed the experience! 













5 comments:

  1. Amazing these canvases. I love your shape and colours process and with its vivacious. And I love both. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are both Fab Hazel, but I love you second one it's gorgeous, hugs Debs xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear - it's so long since I've managed any Wanderlusting - and this makes me really eager to get back and play (though I'm also about to have a bit more play time to enjoy New York, so can't really complain!). Love your layered abstract, but the second one with those leaves magically emerging and then surrounded by the bubbles is simple wonderful.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both stunning pieces of art Hazel, love the second one especially. Ruth xx

    ReplyDelete